Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Extra Reading: Milo Winter's Aesop Fables

I chose to read Aesops Fables by Milo Winter this week for my extra reading. I just read Brer Rabbit so I felt this sort of connected with animals having moral stories:
  • I think the first story really speaks to what people face on a normal day-to-day basis. People get distracted from what they want to do because other people have other plans. It is best to stick with what you are doing and do it 100%.
  • Even though it was one of the shortest stories, I really liked the story about the little boy and the filberts (I had to look that one up). The moral to me is that sometimes only you can help yourself. Spending time on someone who won’t help themselves are be smart about it only wastes your time. This corresponds to the donkey falling over the edge because he will not listen.
  • I thought the gnat story was great because it shows that sometimes you aren’t as important as you think you are. Stay humble. I think I may try and tie this into my story this week.
  • All of these stories are so short but they represent such deep moral teachings. I may try and write a bunch of smaller stories that remind the reader of certain lessons.
  • I really like the story about the boar and the fox because it is really important to always be prepared. I could write a story where two people are preparing for a race and one is preparing while the other isn’t. The one who is prepared and ready wins while the other one cannot even finish the race.
  • I feel the Lion is always getting made fun of. I think this is because everyone is out to get him since he is King.
  • I related to the Dog and His Master’s Dinner because my dog always wants my food! Sometimes temptation is one of the hardest things to overcome. It is crucial to have a good group of friends who really look out for your best interest.

The Aesop for Children. Written by Milo Winter. 1919.

Aesop's Fables



No comments:

Post a Comment