Monday, February 20, 2017

Reading Notes Part A: The Monkey King

This week I chose to read the unit The Money King. Below are my reading notes:

  • I like how the Stone Ape had do to a task in order to show that he is capable of being the King. I would like to incorporate a similar topic similar to the Sword and the Stone.
  • It is interesting to have an epic journey such as the Monkey King’s. I am looking forward to writing a similar tale of the monkey going on a different journey.
  • It would be interesting to write a story where an animal is trying to become civilized but is have difficulty. I could maybe write about a tiger or a bear trying to fit into to the human world. This ultimately ends with him getting kicked out of the city where the master resides.
  • I really like how the Master page was written. This form of repetitive paragraphs does a really good job to emphasize the writers point. I will try and incorporate my own repetitive structure.
  • I liked how the monkey was able to fly in the end. This has a certain level of magic that made it more interesting of a story.
  • I thought the Devil King was a great antagonist because it was stealing something innocent away. I may try and write about a similar foe to my hero in the story.
  • Sun Wu Kung receives a magical weapon from the Dragon-King. I may try and have my main character receive such a present.
  • I really enjoyed reading the Nether World. I enjoy the stories where the hero makes an epic long journey to the land of the dead. 
"The Ape Sun Wu Kung" in The Chinese Fairy Book. Written by R. Wilheilm. 1921. 


No comments:

Post a Comment