Thursday, February 9, 2017

Extra Reading: Aesop's Fables

This week I decided to read Aesop’s Fables. Below are my reading notes:


  • I enjoyed reading these small stories because they all have themes that you can recognize pretty easily. My favorite Lion story was the one about the four oxen and them fighting. For such a short story, the moral is great. I may include it into my storybook somehow.
  • I like the fable the Fox and the Crane. It enlightens a certain perspective to each animal. If you care for only yourself, other people will do the same. I also liked the fox story with the Lion because the moral is to not be afraid for it may not always be what it’s built up to be.


Image result for fox and the crane
Fox and the Crane

  • I thought the Wolf and the Lamb story was pretty grim. The wolf was just looking for an excuse to eat the lamb and when that didn’t work, he just ate the lamb anyways. I feel the moral is that someone people, no matter what you do, are always looking for justification in what they want. I think it connects to what goes on all the time in the modern world.
  • My favorite story from the Dogs and Cats section is the one with the Cat and the Fox. I thought it was funny how the wolf probably had better options to escape, however, the thought process on choosing one was ultimately fatal. I think it represents that sometimes a quick decision is better than over analyzing every situation. I think I can include this into my storybook where a character has to make a decision.
  • My favorite deer story was The One-Eyed Doe. The last sentence in which the doe exclaimed that no one can escape their fate is an interesting moral theme. I could potentially use this in which the main character is subjected to a certain fate that no matter how hard he tries, he cannot escape.
The Fables of Aesop. Written by Joseph Jacobs. 1894.


No comments:

Post a Comment