Monday, February 27, 2017

Reading Notes Part A: Brer Rabbit

This week I chose to read Brer Rabbit: Below are my reading notes:

  • I find it difficult to read due to the accents. It definitely seems like this story would be better if it was told orally versus reading it.
  • I like how the main characters are animals. This reminds me of when I was reading Aesop’s Fables.
  • I liked the story of the Tar-Baby. It is a good story of deception and how getting angry doesn’t usually work out.
  • I like the argument between the coon and the possum. I think that sometimes it is important to stand and fight while other times it is better to play dead and survive. Both takes extreme levels of bravery.
  • I like how the rabbit tricked the fox into throwing him into the briar patch. I think I may try and write a story where the ‘helpless’ character actually tricks another character.
  • The fox is always getting outwitted. I will include a character that is always losing because other animals are smarter than him.
  • All the animals are trying to trick Brer rabbit but he is too smart. I did like the introduction of all the Proverbs. It allowed for a few morals to be explained by the rabbit.
Brer Wolf and Brer Fox

  • I think the turtle and the fox story was my favorite because it really showed how the animals all took advantage of the fox’s ignorance. He thought he was hurting the turtle but he was only taking him home.

Uncle Remus: His Songs and His Sayings. Written by Joel Chandler Harris. 1881


No comments:

Post a Comment