Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Reading Notes Part B: The Monkey King

Below is a continuation of my reading of The Monkey King:

  • I like how the Gods and Sun Wu Kung interact. Kung shows a certain level of arrogance that may cause his downfall. I could potentially write a story where the main character has a similar tragic flaw.
  • I like how he thought he was gone for only a few days but in reality he was gone for almost ten years. This could make a story to where the main character visits a place, only to realize he has left behind his friends and family for more than a decade.
  • The Monkey King is making progress on the road to immortality, but I think the ultimate point might be that it has a moral cost. He's stealing things from people, which is bad. But, some of these people may be morally objectionable themselves. I would like to incorporate the peaches as a similar tale to Adam and Eve.
  • I like how the Buddha was so powerful that he was able to defeat the Monkey King without any violence. It is always nice to read a story where violence isn’t necessarily the main solution.
  • I really think chapters 1-4 would be interesting because they are trying to creatively liberate Xuanzang. It would be cool to write a story where it is almost a rescue type mission.
Wikipdeia: Sun Wukong
The Monkey King. Written by R. Wilhelm. 1921.  


No comments:

Post a Comment