Wednesday, March 1, 2017

A Dog's Immortality

Hi everyone! My name is Sunny. I am a 13 year old Bernese mountain dog. I am about to tell you the story about my unique journey to becoming immortal…

Image result for bernese mountain dog
Bernese Mountain Dog


I let out a large yawn as the door to the room slammed shut. It took a while to adjust to the darkness inside this new home of mine, but the lights from the Christmas tree in the corner helped out. I was the new to this shelter and was anxious to know what the local dogs would think of me. As I was about to lay down when a low bellowing voice from the kennel across the room spoke out.

“Hey newbie! Names Sasha. What’s yours?” The shape of a beautiful border collie appeared before my eyes. His eyes were sunken and he looked quite old.

“Uhm, the name is Sunny.”

“Well, Sunny. I see you’re quite young compared to all the locals. I am sure that you will get adopted pretty quickly with that smile of yours. I do have one question though since you won’t be around long and I don’t want you to suffer the same fate as me being in here. Have you ever heard of immortality?”

“No, I am afraid not.” I returned an answer to this strange question.

“Well you see, once you are adopted you can gain immortality. All you have to do is a simple task in order to gain this magical gift.” Sasha’s voice slowed down and hung on the last few words
.
“What is the task!?” I yearned for immortality because I simply feared death. I mean, who doesn’t?

“It’s simple… Become a good boy.” With those words, Sasha laid down and fell asleep.
⤁ 
The next morning was a complete blur. I was contemplating what Sasha had mentioned the night before but kept getting distracted from the humans walking around. As dogs next to me got adopted left and right, I finally gave up and laid down to rest. I can’t believe how some of these dogs last in here for months. I wanted out… Now!

Just as all hope was lost, a young man and woman walked up to my kennel. A few good scratches and licks later, I was in their car with my head out the window. I was well on my way to becoming a good boy for my humans.

The car finally came to a stop and I sat in my seat waiting patiently to not get in trouble. I mean, my first impression had to be good so I can become immortal. All of a sudden, a smell caught my nose. I resisted and resisted but my oh my that smell! It smelled like heaven. As my new owners opened the door, I couldn’t take it any longer…

I jolted as quickly as I could and was on the trail of this delicious smell with my new humans following right behind. When I arrived at the end of the smelling trail, I saw what it was. It was the most delicious looking prime rib I had ever seen. I stuck my tongue out to lick it but I remembered that I needed to be a good boy.

Image result for christmas prime rib
Prime Rib
I couldn’t help it though. I mean this prime rib looked amazing! So before my humans got to me I gobbled up about half of the prime rib. I was ashamed… I couldn’t even resist this my FIRST day with my humans. I felt my tail go between my legs and I slowly walked to the corner. 
As soon my new humans reached me, I heard the anger in their voices. I knew I was in trouble. I mentally prepared for my punishment when all of a sudden the young woman got on her knees and spoke to me.

“Aw hun. Our pup must be starving! They must not be feeding him anything in that kennel. Let me cut off some more for him and we can all celebrate our Christmas Eve dinner together.”
As she put some into my bowl, I heard her say those magical words.

“Here’s your food Sunny. You are such a good boy!” My face lit up with excitement. I was well on my way to becoming immortal and happy forever!
 
Now as I sit here 11 years later breathing heavy, looking into the eyes of my humans I love so much, I finally understood what Sasha meant. Being a good boy did not actually mean immortality. What it meant was having the best possible life and getting to spend every second of it with MY humans. I mean hey, that feels like immortality to me…



Author’s Note: This reading is based off of me reading The Monkey King. The stone ape in this story tries to become immortal but constantly suffers from not being civilized enough. I wanted to play off of this and have my main character be a dog who couldn’t resist simply being a dog. The stone ape eventually gains immorality, but he never really became civilized. Therefore, I had Sunny do something as easy as becoming a good boy and gaining not immortality, but a great life with his humans. I felt that having a dog live forever would have been unrealistic, therefore, I decided to be more grounded in my story. In contrast to the original story, I made Sunny happier and not so stuck on himself. I felt the original stone ape solely wanted immortality for himself, however, by the end of my story I wanted the reader to understand why Sunny wanted it. He simply wanted to live forever with his humans.
In terms of characters, symbols, and the setting, I tried to keep some portions similar to the original while I changed others. The prime rib represented The Peaches of Immortality that the stone ape ate without permission. Additionally, Sasha was the great Master that the stone ape heard of immortality from. Finally, I wanted it to be set in the modern world for the reader to be able to connect better with the story. 

8 comments:

  1. Well, thank you for making me tear up!! Lol. I just lost my beloved dog, Rolo, a little over 2 weeks ago, so this hit kind of close to home with me. At first I thought there was going to be an actual mythical theme to this and he was going to actually be able to live forever but I think this ending is better anyways. I loved this story and I think you did a great job... Plus, it literally did make me cry (you know, because I’m an emotional mess with losing my pup so recently and what not) and I typically judge a story on its ability to make me feel real emotions. So, good job! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m not going to lie, I had to hold back some tears. This was such a sweet story! The message is actually very similar to the movie “Big Fish.” If you haven’t seen it, I would highly recommend it, it’s one of my favorite movies.

    But back to your story, I really liked the approach you took with this story. It’s very realistic and relatable whether you are a monkey, dog, or human. Seriously, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww! I just got back from watching Logan and I figured that was enough crying for the day..but nope...this one I definitely had to fight back the tears! I will say that this story was really good and a different take on The Monkey King, which is nice. Tiny little parts confused me, only because of the grammar and missing words. It'll probably have to go through just a tiny revision in the beginning, but other than that it was great! A very melancholic story. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, how cute! Of course a dog's path to immortality involves being a Good Boy. Nice use of images--that picture of steak makes my mouth water. I don't know how I could resist taking a bite of it, much less how Sunny could resist. Such a bittersweet ending, too. I think Sunny is all of our dogs--they just want happiness and even if they could live forever, they'd spend all that time with their humans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I opened your portfolio, the first thing I noticed was your pictures! The picture of the beach and palm tree and then the dog really caught my attention! I love dogs so I chose to read “A Dog’s Immortality.” I love Bernese Mountain dogs too so good choice of dog! Reading your title doesn’t give too much of your story away but it left me curious about what the story was going to be about. Your little blurb to the story is great. I think you gave us just enough detail without giving away all your big ideas. Another thing that really stood out to me when I began to read your story, was that you wrote the story from the perspective of the dog! This is one of my favorite stories so far! It was seriously so cute and relatable because don’t we all wish our dogs could live forever! Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a very nicely written story that I feel like a lot of people can have feelings towards just by owning a pet. I have a border collie which was also one of the breeds in the story so that kind of hooked my attention into reading more. I love the images that you use in your story and that prime rib looked yummy…. Your story was one of the random ones that I chose for the feedback and the title is what grabbed my attention. It is so true that dogs and pets in general just want to be loved by their human family and also offer their love back. Dogs really do not need to much to be happy because they do not really have a sense of rich or poor so unconditional love is what does it for them. Having this love as a dog’s “immortality” was a really nice touch. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought this was a great story that many people can relate to due to their shared love for dogs. You began the story perfectly by having the dog introduce itself. I immediately liked that the story was told from the dog's point of view. The image of the prime rib had me chuckling and I could imagine perfectly the excitement a dog has when being offered a nice portion of food. The detail and imagery you used was really well done. The part about the immortality was a great part of the story and it was nice to see the story develop and the dog come to the realization of the true meaning of "immortality". I thought the story flowed smoothly and that the paragraphs and structure of the story was organized well. The additional dialogue also kept me interested in the story and helped it move along smoothly. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like that in the beginning of the story has a quick blurb about the narrator so that the audience isn't left guessing who or what it could be. In the first paragraph, the sentence "I was the new to this shelter and was anxious to know what the local dogs would think of me."seems to be missing a word. As for your story, I really like it overall. I think that you could have added a lot more detail about how scary the shelter is. The dog was in there all alone, maybe the other dogs were scary and there was a lot of noise. You could have gone on about how loving the new home was and how nice his new owners were to him. And you could have elaborated on the true meaning of immortality and how life and love are so connected.

    ReplyDelete