Thursday, February 9, 2017

Wikipedia Trail: From Sinbad the Sailor to Kublai Khan



Since I started reading The Seven Voyages of Sinbad, I chose to start my Wikipedia Trail with Sinbad the Sailor. My favorite part of the story was when Sinbad hid on the claw of a giant bird called a roc to escape from being eaten. Therefore, my next page I clicked on was the roc, or giant mythical bird. One thing I learned was that it was actually included in the Ramayana and the Mahabharata. I read these in Epics of India so I am glad to see a connection in these readings. When I scrolled down to the bottom I saw the Marco Polo once accounted for seeing a large island that possessed such birds. I read about the life of Marco Polo because although I know the name, I do not know much about his travels. They went on an epic 24 year journey only to return and realize Venice was at war. When he was imprisoned, he told of his tales and that is how he became famous. When reading about other travels, I noticed that he met with Kublai Khan, the grandson of the famous Genghis Khan. Kublai was responsible for creating the Yuan dynasty during the late 1200s. This dynasty ruled over much of Asia until the middle of the 1300s. 
Marco Polo - costume tartare.jpg
Wikipedia: Marco Polo

No comments:

Post a Comment