Monday, February 13, 2017

Reading Notes Part A: The Life of Buddha

I chose to read The Life of Buddha this week. Below are some notes from this reading:
  • The beginning reminded me of the bible in that a young boy is going to be born of great significance. In addition, there are people being healed and everyone is celebrating the Queens pregnancy.
  • I really like how this story describes the world after Siddhartha is born. I would like to write a story where a young person is born and is of great importance to the town/city. I will try and contrast the before and after mood of the people.
  • The hermit/Asita is a great character in this story because he gives great insight into what Siddhartha will represent and do when he is older. I would love to incorporate a story where the hermit may be lying and the son is actually evil instead of helping the people. This may add an interesting twist to the story.
  • Siddhartha’s mother dies and her sister takes over as his “mom”. It would be interesting to write a story where Siddhartha finds this out and gets upset.
  • It is important to notice how everyone around him admires him completely. I wonder if I could write a story where a young man in the modern world runs away and is looked upon like Siddhartha is. Also, I could do a detailed description of what Siddhartha is thinking/feeling during his first meditation.
  • I liked how the Gods interfered with his mindset because it shows their interactions. I wonder if I include a story where the Gods actually transform him into an old man and see how he reacts to such a rapid transformation.
  • I loved the encounters because it allowed for the reader to understand the Siddhartha was still a young man who did not know the evils of the real world. I liked how they brought three different people to demonstrate death, old age, and sickness.
  • I would consider writing a story where someone is having a dream that represents what will occur in the future.
Image result for buddha being born
Healing Haven: Buddha Being Born

The Life of Buddha
. Written by Andre Ferdinand Herold. 1922.

No comments:

Post a Comment