Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Wikipedia Trail: From Odysseus to Achilles


Since I plan on reading Homer's Illiad and Odyssey, I started my Wikipedia Trail with the hero Odysseus. I have always heard about his adventures in both of Homer's epics, therefore I wanted to know a little more about him. One thing I learned was that during the Trojan War, he was one of the volunteers that almost fought the famous Trojan warrior Hector. This led me to click on the next article about the Trojan War. I read about the main parts of the Trojan War described in the Illiad. I learned about the main warriors and what happened to them during this part of the war. The main thing learned was that Hector killed the cousin of Achilles causing Achilles to be overcome with grief and anger. This resulted in the death of the famous Hector by the hands of Achilles. This led me to click on Achilles himself to understand where he came from and why he was fighting in the war in the first place. He's fate was given to him that he would either live in glory but die young, or live a long life with no adventure. Since he wanted glory, he chose to fight in the Trojan War and ultimately died because of that choice.

Wikipedia: (Triumph of Achilles)

No comments:

Post a Comment