Monday, January 16, 2017

Week 1 Storytelling


The “Sold” sign slowly disappeared as my parents and I drove off. We were moving again, of course.  This was the third time this year and all I could think about was how many more times will I have to be thrown into another school. A new place, new friends, and a whole new beginning, again. My parents said this move will be different though, they called the new cabin an oasis in the middle of a secluded forest.
As I looked out of the window at the foggy landscape, I could feel my eyes yearning for sleep. I did not want to miss any of the drive so I fought with all my might to stay awake. Just then I heard the blinker on the car turn on and we exited off the highway onto Eerie Forest Road. We were driving on the bouncy road as huge oak trees consumed the sky above me. All of a sudden the car jerked forward as the car came to a complete stop. My dad revved the engine, trying to free us from whatever had stopped our car. As I looked out to see what it was, I could feel the car slowly sinking into the mushy ground beneath us. It dawned on me. I quickly unbuckled and yelled to my parents, “Quicksand!”. We jumped out of the car just in time as the quicksand completely engulfed the car until all we could see was the antenna poking out. We all stood in shock staring at the ground, trying to figure out what actually just happened. We knew that the best way to fix this crazy event was to head towards the new cabin and call for help, so we started walking.
We walked for what seemed like forever when my dad decided he needed to go to the restroom. With my dad gone, my mom and I heard a murmur coming from the distance. As we waited and waited the murmur got louder and louder. All of a sudden, my dad came running towards us, screaming, with a large swarm of killer bees following closely. As I turned to run, I noticed a stream of water. We all were able to make it to the water and to escape the deadly stings of the bees. Just in time.
              As we continued walking, we finally made it to where the cabin was in sight. Just as we let out a sigh of relief, we heard a chopping sound near the cabin. From behind the house walked a crazy axeman screaming at us to get off his land. As the man ran after us, we hid behind a large oak tree, breathing ever so softly. As the axeman searched for us, I accidentally moved my foot, causing the axeman to hear where we were. He started chopping down the tree we were behind. With the cabin nearby, I went around the left side of the oak and yelled “Over here!”. As the axeman quickly looked my way, my dad came out from behind the tree and tackled the axeman, sending his ax flying away. We all sprinted as fast as we could to the cabin, with the axeman right behind us. He quickly caught up to me, and as he lunged forward to grab me, I woke up to my mom holding my arm as we arrived at our new cabin. It was all a dream, nothing but a dream.

Author note: Written from the inspiration from Tom Gauld's Map of the Area Surrounding our Holiday Home. I started from the South, worked Northeast, and finally arrived at the cabin where the axeman was located. 

Map of the Area Surrounding our Holiday Homea cartoon by Tom Gauld from his book ROBOTS, MONSTERS Etc., 2006. http://onlinecourselady.pbworks.com/w/page/12763863/week1storytelling 

4 comments:

  1. Hey Trevor! Your story was very exciting! I wasn't sure what was going to happen or what kind of story I was reading! It had a nice twist at the end I didn't see coming! For a little bit I thought this was going to be a scary, thriller story. Which it was, but it was just the dream of the child! It was very interesting and fun to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Trevor, that's was a funny unexpected ending! I imagined watching a horror movie something similar to "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" but in the forest. It is funny to see that all that is a dream because sometimes we overthink situations to were they become embedded in our subconscious.It was interesting to read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Trevor,
    The constant action of your story help my attention through and through. You had great detail throughout the action that aided in my imagining of the scenes. I seemed to read faster and faster as the story went on as if my reading pace flowed with the action. Then, it halted. I was genuinely surprised that it was a dream in the end. I did not see that coming. After experiencing his dream, it makes me wonder what actually happened she they arrived at the cabin in the woods. Did you think about what the cabin actually was like when you finished writing? It's cool how you left it up to the reader's imagination to kind of create his or her own image of what happens afterwards. It also makes me wonder about the age of the kid. With the action throughout the story, I was thinking of a teenager in my mind, but looking back, it could've just been a young child who has nightmares about monsters. Great store that induced much thought!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, that story was super cool. I was so shocked with the twist at the end, and I absolutely loved it! Your imagery was awesome, and the different surprises throughout the story definitely made it suspenseful. The action kept me hooked. I kept wanting to read more and more just to find out what would happen to the family. My mind was blown when I found out that it was all just a dream.

    ReplyDelete