Monday, January 23, 2017

Reading Notes Part B: Homer's Illiad

Below is a continuation of my reading notes for Homer’s Illiad:

  o   The fighting over Patroclus’ arms and body exhibits the how fierce the battle was. Given this, I feel I could incorporate a similar tale in my story. I feel that I could potentially have brothers fight and one dies in battle. Thus, the living brother would have to fight off the opposing men so he can have a proper burial for his fallen brother.
  o   I am curious as to what will happen now that Achilles will be extremely angry that Patroclus has fallen.
  o   Achille is upset that Zeus had answered his request but had let Patroclus die. I find that the Gods typically help, however, there is always another side. There is always a sacrifice or death that follows a God’s answer to a request. This can be used in order to develop a character in my story this week (i.e. vengeance, sorrow, and anger).
  o   I find it interesting how involved the Gods are with the slaying of Hector. I could take an opposite approach and have Zeus actually save Hector and go against the other Gods.
  o   Athene portrayed herself as a comrade of Hector to trick him into fighting Achilles. This reminds me of a time in the Ramayana where Ravana used a golden deer in order to kidnap Sita. I wrote about these deceptions before and I may include this in part of my story.
  o   Hector is defeated and is not given an honorable burial.  Maybe I can alter the ending of this part of the story.
  o   I could potentially write a story from the perspective of Andromache.
  o   Achilles displays sympathy for King Priam when he sneaks into the Greek camp. Hectors is returned and a proper burial was held. I could alter the story and have Achilles kidnap Priam and force an even larger battle between the Trojans and Greeks. 

Spartan Warriors: Achilles defeating Hector



   Homer's Illiad, translated by Alfred J. Church. (1907)


No comments:

Post a Comment