Monday, January 30, 2017

Reading Notes Part A: Homer's Odyssey

This week I chose to read Homer’s Odyssey. Below are some of the potential stories and events that I enjoyed while reading:  
  • ·       I enjoyed thinking about an island where only cyclops reside. This could potentially allow for me to develop a story where they are thrusted into a war with another creature.
  • ·       I can envision how these cyclops are herding the numerous goats on their lands. It is unusual how they do not have to really work to have crops and protect their goats. I wonder if this is because the gods feel responsible for them being monsters.
  • ·       I wonder if the story would be interesting if the cyclops was actually nice and showed some hospitality to Odysseus and his men.
  • ·       It would be interesting to write the story in the perspective of the cyclops instead of Odysseus.
  • ·       The wine is used as a method to trick the cyclops. I may use this or another method to trick a character in my next story. Wine is mentioned a lot of times throughout the story therefore it must be important to the plotline.
  • ·       It is interesting the relationship the Cyclopes and the Gods have. I feel this would make for a great story to show the creation/origination of the cyclops. I wonder what will occur now that Polyphemus has cursed them.
  • ·       Odysseus seems to very courageous almost to a fault. He almost was hit by the rock of Polyphemus because he was so sure he had escaped. This would be interesting to write about: a tragic flaw.
  • ·       Some of the men are turned into pigs by Circe. I could write a story where the cyclops has this power to make him extra villainous or implement it somewhere else.  
  • ·       Odysseus is able to free his men without having to fight Circe.
  •      Odysseus is constantly being told to visit other places before he gets home. I like a story that the main character has to pass many tests before he/she gets what they want. I may include a similar story this week.


Image result for polyphemus and odysseus
Polyphemus and Odysseus


Homer's Odyssey, translated by Tony Kline. 

No comments:

Post a Comment