Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Growth Mindset: Self Reflection



One thing I will take from this course is that all feedback does not need to be positive. I have always been nervous to hear negative things about my schooling, athletics, and work, but I now understand that it is extremely beneficial. If all people do is tell you positives, you will never truly get better at things you are average at. For example, I have always been bad at public speaking because I get extremely nervous. This past semester I had a 30 minute technical presentation for my internship. I presented in front of almost 75 engineers and geologists and received some negative feedback (along with positive of course). I really had to take this to heart and realize they were not doing this to make fun of me, but simply to help me in my future career. This is similar to the comments I get on my work in this course. If it is negative, take it and run with it. Change what people are seeing is negative and become better.


Also, I will overcome things that I am not actually good at. I am not the best writer, but this course had really helped me progress into being able to write stories and become more creative. Overall, this course was excellent in allowing for me to come out of my shell.
Image result for public speaking
Speaking in Public

1 comment:

  1. Trevor,
    I’m happy this class allows you an outlet to be creative and hopefully lessons your anxiety about certain things. I think sometimes it is hard to not be own our harshest critics but it’s definitely the first step when you can admit something like that and work on it! I can only imagine how therapeutic it must be to have time to read and write – something I never thought I would be doing in college!

    Erin

    ReplyDelete