Sunday, March 5, 2017

Extra Reading: The Story of Beowulf

This week I chose to read Beowulf. Below are my reading notes:
  • I find it interesting that the King of Hygelac does not wage war against the strange inhabitants unless they go into more densely populated areas. I would definitely want to move closer to town.  I could write a story where a farmer is killed and the creature sneaks into town acting as the farmer.
  • I always like stories with a main hero. I like how they included the backstory of the great Beowulf. I could write a story where someone pretends to be a great hero but in reality they are a fraud.
  • I like how this author introduced the dreaded Grendel in a song. I could incorporate a story where the villain is a nasty creature who is almost impossible to defeat. However, a young woman is actually the hero because she softens the creature up and talks him out of killing everyone.
  • I am excited to see Beowulf fight this Grendel. I wonder who will win. I am sure that Beowulf will but I may write a story where it is from the perspective of the creature. It could make for an interesting twist.
  • I wonder if Grendel will make an appearance into the hall as they celebrate Beowulf coming. I am sure that it will not be easy if Beowulf does indeed defeat this creature.
  • I like how the Unerth questioned Beowulf. I always feel that stories move past the logistics of some random person coming and saying they can do something. This will provide Beowulf with the fire to defeat Grendel.
  • It would make for a good story to have my hero tell stories in first person in order to prove that he is qualified. This could really make a story be more interesting to have it written in terms of the main hero.

Image result for beowulf
Beowulf

The Story of Beowulf. Written by Strafford Riggs. 1933.





1 comment:

  1. Trevor,
    I bet Beowulf was an interesting story – and one you were clearly interested in reading since it was for extra credit! I like your idea of moving the story closer to town where the farmer is killed and the creature sneaks around into town acting like the farmer. You are very creative! I am also drawn to the stories with a hero. I guess that’s just the optimism in us!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete