Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Reading Notes Part A: Sioux Stories

This week I chose to read the Sioux stories. Below are my reading notes:

  • I like the introduction of a rabbit communicating with a group of girls. I think having an interaction between animals and humans creates a great story. Additionally, I could include a story where the rabbit, or some other creature, tricks a group of humans into following. They would then be hurt or kidnapped.
  • I thought the story of the rabbit and the bear was very unique since half of the bear was made of flint. I could make it to where a powerful being is king/queen because they are made of a specific resource and a group of people try and overthrow them.
  • I think writing a story where an animal escapes and becomes a part of a human clan would be interesting. It would take a different approach than the original story.
  • My favorite story was A Little Brave and the Medicine Woman. I felt that it involved a lot of humor because of Brave dressing up in mud like a dead person. I definitely can see a little boy doing this.
  • I like reading these stories because they include dialogue from the native tongue and not just English. It makes the stories more unique and fun.
  • I find it awesome how a lot of these stories have morals that are similar to the other cultures we have read in this class.
Image result for woman and wolves indian
Indian Woman and the Wolves

Myths and Legends of The Sioux. Marie McLaughlin. 1916. 


No comments:

Post a Comment